Top Ten Winter Reads

Feed Me Books Now | 17:50 | | |
'Tis the season to be jolly, right? Well, to kick-start this festive season I thought I'd share my top ten winter reads – a mixture of adult, YA and classics! So, without further ado…

THE SNOW CHILD and WUTHERING HEIGHTS and HARRY POTTER  
  • The Snow ChildBy Eowyn Ivey is the novel that I spend every December banging on about – it's just so perfect and heartwarming! It's hands-down the most beautifully-descriptive novel I have ever encountered and the setting of Alaska is vivid and almost tangible. I have one word for this book: LOVE.
  • Okay, so perhaps I'm very a tad bias towards Wuthering HeightsBy Emily Bronte as it's one of my favourite books... but the atmosphere created just pulls you into the tale; windy moors on a chilly winter's eve? Count me in!
  • Harry PotterBy JK Rowling well… need I say anything more that CHRISTMAS AT HOGWARTS?! I think my point here is proven!

LET IT SNOW and DASH AND LILY'S BOOK OF DARES   
GRIMMS' FAIRY TALES and NORTHERN LIGHTS   
  • I am a self-confessed fairy tale nerd… so naturally, a lot of the short stories from Grimms' Fairy TalesBy brothers Grimm spring to mind when I'm asked my favourite winter reads. I'm definitely going to spend one December night dipping in and out of my copy...
  • Perhaps there's a hint in the name, but Northern LightsBy Philip Pullman is an ice-filled thriller of a fantasy novel! Oh how I loved Iorek Byrnison (possibly the only fictional polar bear ever)...
HERCULE POIROT'S CHRISTMAS and THE NIGHT CIRCUS and NARNIA   
  • A friendly family get together during the festive season? With Agatha Christie's Poirot, there is no chance that this could go to plan – let's be honest. Hercule Poirot's ChristmasBy Agatha Christie is definitely the crime novel I want to recommend, the plot is just too clever!
  • Okay, so The Night CircusBy Erin Morgernstern isn't exactly a winter read… but just the thought of THAT hot chocolate makes me all warm and tingly… ooh and not to forget the ice garden! Gah, there's no chance I'm missing this one of the list!
  • The Chronicles of NarniaBy CS Lewis , where it is always winter? I need not explain this choice (a childhood favourite of mine)!
So, what are your favourite winter reads? Recommend some!

13 comments:

  1. All these sounds awesome! From the list i've read The Chronicles of Narnia, the Agatha Christie, Harry Potter, Grimm's Fairy Tales, Wuthering Heights and Let It Snow but I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to read Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, The Night Circus and The Snow Child. :d
    p.s this is an awesome idea for a post, do you mind if I participate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes! You can definitely participate. :) And I can't believe you haven't read The Night Circus IT IS BASICALLY MADE FOR YOU OKAY.

      Delete
    2. I'M SORRY BUT MY LIBRARY DOESN'T HAVE IT AND I AM ON A BOOK BUYING BAN AND JUST eugh.

      Delete
    3. Awwww! :'( We need to find a way to get you a copy. :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely Harry Potter! I hope I get time to reread them over the holidays. I haven't read Northern Lights since I was little so I've been planning on rereading it some day. Let it Snow and Dash and Lily are on my wishlist so I might have to treat myself! Great picks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dash and Lily's Book of Dares is just lovely, gah, so fun! I'm certain you'll LOVE it!

      Delete
  3. I must have read the His Dark Materials trilogy at least five times by now - I love them so much! I haven't had the time to reread them for a while now so I'll definitely try to fit them in this christmas too. The Snow Child as well...and Wuthering Heights...and Grimms' Fairy Tales... If I have the time! Great post, Ruby, and by the way I love the banner for it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His Dark Materials are brilliant, I definitely need to reread them soon though! And Wuthering Heights and The Snow Child – both WAY TOO beautiful! :) And thank you Maya, glad you like the banner!

      Delete
  4. Great choices! Your list reminded me I have to re-read Wuthering Heights sometime soon. :) Plus The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is the ultimate winter read for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everyone needs to re-read Wuthering Heights and if they haven't read it then they need to read it this instant! :D

      Delete
  5. *SQUEALS* I am in love with this post!!!! I've been thinking of doing something similar for a while.
    As you know I'm a massive fan of Harry Potter - ah Christmas at Hogwarts. If you've not seen photos already at Warner Bros. Studio Tour they decorate the Great Hall every year like it would have been in the films at Christmas, I've said to my Mum that that's where I want to go for my birthday one year as I turn 15 on Christmas Eve.

    Holly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Would you recommend The Snow Child - I'm thinking about books to add to my Christmas list? xx

      Delete
    2. Yes the Studio Tour is SO FUN!

      I personally love The Snow Child; it's an adult book and is very different to YA but loads of the teenagers I know who have read it have ADORED it! :)

      Delete

I'm incredibly grateful for each comment received and I reply to every single one (so be sure to check back if you've asked something).