2013 End of Year Book Survey

Feed Me Books Now | 15:58 | |
This feature is hosted by the amazing The Perpetual Page Turner. PS. This post is VERY long!
1. Best book you read in 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre)
Classics – I think I'm going to have to go with Wuthering Heights… just because, y'know, WUTHERING HEIGHTS. 1984, The Great Gatsby and Brave New World are close runners up though!
YA Historical fiction Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys… I go on about this book WAY too much but... but... but... urgh, it's just unbelievably brilliant.
Literary fiction A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki just blew my mind; the style was so quirky and unheard of that I was immediately swept up in the exploration of Japanese culture. :)
YA Fantasy Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor. The second novel in my favourite YA trilogy… need I explain any further?!
YA contemporaryI Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak... whilst The Book Thief reduced me to tears a few years ago, I Am the Messenger left me in complete awe.

2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?

Definitely Seraphina by Rachel Hartman... the descriptive passages were great but as for the characters... there were just TOO MANY OF THEM. 

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

Hmmm… I have to say, I'm not normally "surprised" by books as such… but The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon definitely came as a shock; it's so rare to have a book of such length and complexity pulled off with such flair!

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

At the beginning of the year, I wouldn't stop talking about Paper Towns by John Green – by far my favourite novel of his! But then I've spent the last few months shoving A Tale for the Time Being in everyone's faces! 

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

Oooh tough one – I'm not mad on series… but, having said that, Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo was sensational; definitely a series I want to continue, considering the sequel was also fab.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Rainbow Rowell! The 80s vibe of Eleanor & Park was right up my street.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

I'm quite a lazy reader – I stick to genres I know and enjoy – however I did read an author's autobiography this year which is now an all-time favourite. Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson is a book I'll simply treasure.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Ooh this is surprisingly tough! I'm stuck between a YA and a classic, so for YA: More Than This by Patrick Ness! As for the classic, 1984 is definitely unputdownable. :)

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?

Hmmm, well considering Dreams of Gods and Monsters is being released in 2014, probably Days of Blood and Starlight!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Definitely The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon! I'm not a fan of book covers with actually people on them (often they come across as cheesy!) but I love subtle images with text... the rich blue of this cover with the vivid red is just beautiful! Gahhh, the cover designers did such a brilliant job – I JUST LOVE IT! 

11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

Woah there are so many! I guess Nao from A Tale for a Time Being… but, for a change from my other answers, Celaena Sardothien because... um.... CELAENA SARDOTHIEN!

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Oh wow, I'm struggling to pick between two.  I think I'm going to have to say Days of Blood and Starlight for YA... I just want Laini Taylor's mind, okay?! And, seeing as I basically cried at the sheer beauty of it, Wuthering Heights.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

Again, like loads of my other answers: Wuthering Heights. I don't think I've ever been so overwhelmed by (like I said above) the sheer beauty of a book to the extent I burst into tears...

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

The Infernal Devices series… in my defence, I'm not the biggest fan of The Mortal Instruments (I really dislike them actually) so I have an excuse for being apprehensive about this trilogy!

 15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read In 2013?

 From The Great Gatsby:

"And as I sat there brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of Gatsby’s wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy’s dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn, and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night. Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—to-morrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And one fine morning— So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Isn't it just beautiful???

16.Shortest & longest book you read In 2013?

Shortest  The Ousiders by SE Hinton (192 pages)— Loved it, but wanted MORE!
Longest Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (964 pages): YEP, I actually got through it! Rather enjoyed it too, although some of the Russian agriculture sections were tedious to say the least…

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? 

OOooh the "I am Heathcliff!" scene in Wuthering Heights! Or the last scene of Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick – it was so perfect, and yet, inevitably spoiler-y for the rest of the book!

18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc):

Hmmm... the 'parabatai' friendship between Will and Jem was so dynamic and gah – LOVED it! Also really enjoyed the reader-and-writer relationship between Ruth and Nao in A Tale for the Time Being... and, of course, the friendship between Zuzanna and Karou is just THE BEST (Days of Blood and Starlight)!

19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you’ve read previously:

OOH OOH GOT ONE! More Than This by Patrick Ness... in case you're wondering, it was just as perfect as all his other novels!

20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else:

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro… thanks mum!

21. Genre you read the most from in 2013?

Not much of a surprise, considering Curled Up With Classics, but classics!

22. Best 2013 debut you read?

I’m pretty sure it's a debut, but, heck, it really didn't seem like one; If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch has left me eagerly awaiting her next release!

23. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

Ooh this is tough! Considering I'm one of those people who LOVES the idea of escapism and fantasy, I think I'm going to have to go with The Bone Season – there are no other series with world building quite like THAT!

24. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?

Honestly, you're asking for my guilty pleasure? Okay then, I go with Dash and Lily's Book of Dares –  it's just so light and fluffy and delightful!

25. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?

WUTHERING HEIGHTS. OUT OF THE EASY. NEVER LET ME GO. A TALE FOR THE TIME BEING.  (Basically all of my favourites).

26. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?

Hmm Out of the Easy? Maybe even A Tale for the Time Being, considering it was regarded as the least "literary" out of the Man Booker nominees...
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013? 
Well, I discovered most of my favourite blogs (Queen of Contemporary, The Book Nook, A Daydreamer's World, Bookhi…etc) right at the end of 2012… but then, I discovered the utterly perfect It Was Lovely Reading You earlier this year, and then a new blogger entered the scene at The Book Stop. So those two!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013? 

I'm surprisingly proud of the reviews I've written this year – I definitely feel as if I've developed my own style now. I think I'm going to go with A Tale for the Time Being, just because it didn't feel like I was trying to "sell" this book to anyone, just to share my love for a book I genuinely adored.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

Hmm I'm not really a discussion-crazy blogger but I enjoyed writing these ones:

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

Again, I'm not a discussion-crazy blogger, I tend to stick to reading reviews and hauls… however, that said, basically any of Lucy's discussions are fun and engaging reads!

5. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?

Well I was added to quite a lot of publisher's mailing lists! I've spoken to a lot of authors on Twitter (@feedmebooksnow) – including Veronica Roth and Laini Taylor! I've spoken to a lot of other bloggers… I've gained a whole load of page views… I started Curled Up With Classics… quite a few small things which have just added up.

7. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

8. Post you wished got a little more love?

I'm not too fussy, but a few more comments on reviews would have been lovely! Writing reviews is incredibly time-consuming, especially considering I try to channel as much personality and passion into my writing as possible. :)

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

 Hmmm... well, I guess products from The Literary Gift Company are flooding my Christmas list!

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I completed my Goodreads goal of reading 100 books… although I kinda stopped counting the books after I achieved it so I don't how far I achieved it by! I also completed the Dystopia Challenge (my challenge page needs updating soon)!


1. One book you didn’t get to in 2013 but will be your number 1 priority in 2014?

Why must these questions be so tricky! IDEALY, I want to prioritise ALL the books I didn't get round to in 2013… maybe The Book of Lost Things because, IRONICALLY, I lost the book!

2. Book you are most anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)?
I wonder how predictable this answer is? Dreams of Gods and Monsters, OBVIOUSLY.

3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating?

Hmmm this is hard! Not because there are loads, but because I'm planning on spending 2014 catching up with all the books I've missed out on instead of looking out for more! I'm stumped… any recommendations?

4. Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014?

DREAMS OF GODS AND MONSTERS.

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014?

Ummm well, not really "one" thing… but here goes:
  1. Read two or three classics a month – not too tricky!
  2.  Continue with Curled Up With Classics because it's something I genuinely adore spending time on.
  3. Try to contain my excitement for some of the new releases (I wonder which one in particular…)
  4. Continue trying to perfect my review-writing style.
  5. Continue my own writing and maybe post some on this blog if I don't chicken out!
  6. Try to post more regularly.
  7. Re-read old favourites – and new favourites too!

30 comments:

  1. WOW. I see what you mean about the length! BUT I READ IT ALL!!!
    And i would go and comment on every single thing but i don't have time. so to narrow it down...
    DREAMS AND GODS OF MONSTER OH MY FUDGE GIMME NOW.
    I must read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares and re-read Wuthering Heights {i read it when i was 'quite' young so didn't really appreciate it}
    also.
    AWWWH RUBY YOU'RE BLOG IS ONE OF MY FAVE FINDS OF 2013 TWOOOOOO! :D <33333333333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOAH. Thankydoo Hawwa! ALL OF IT???

      And I'm so glad I have you to fangirl over Dreams of Gods and Monsters with! Can't believe Zoe STILL hasn't read the series grrr! :'( I HOPE ZUZANNA GETS A PERFECT ENDING!

      And you're welcome, can't believe I only discovered your blog this year though! I've been missing out! ;)

      Delete
  2. Aw, thanks for the mention ;) A brilliant YA debut coming out in March is Trouble by Non Pratt - I read it a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it, definitely recommended. And I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Paper Towns because I just bought a copy today! (Technically it's a birthday present for my sister, but I fully intend to start reading it the moment she's finished.) Somehow I missed seeing your YA dystopia trends infographic but I just had a look and I'm not surprised it got so many views! You're very good at the graphic-y stuff, Ruby ;) Oh by the way, I also bought Brave New World today at your recommendation - hope I enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Maya, The Book Nook was the first book blog by a teenager I ever read!! Oooh and Trouble sounds great – I'll look out for your review! :) And you will LOVE Paper Towns, it's my favourite John Green novel by a mile (and that's saying something).

      AND BRAVE NEW WORLD – YAY! I hope you adore it as much as I did… :D

      Delete
    2. I can't *really* remember (I have a rubbish memory) but I *think* Feed Me Books Now was the first other blog by a teen I read too. My review of Trouble won't be up until March cos the publisher wanted me to post it around the same time as publication...but keep an eye out for it then ;) Can't wait to read Paper Towns! I shall have to nab it off my sister asap.

      Delete
    3. You do that! Grab it the moment she has finished! :)

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to go through and fill out this survey. It sounds like you had a wonderful year and have great goals for the next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Rachael – the surveys are always fun haha! :)

      Delete
  4. Fab post, Ruby! I absolutely love reading these and can't wait to read 'More than This' by Patrick Ness; It's going to be my last book of the year so, hopefully I've left the best until last!

    Thank you so much for my mention - looks like you've had a brilliant book-blogging year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie! More Than This is just brilliant & incredibly mature for a YA, too. Hope you enjoy it!

      Oooh and you're welcome! :)

      Delete
  5. I love that you used a passage from the Great Gatsby. What an amazing book. I read it in a college class and wish I could take that class and do it all over again. How cool that you were added to publisher lists! I have always wondered how to do that. I am looking through the Literary Gift Company now and loving it. I'll be ordering something from it today!!

    Angie
    My End of Year Survey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess, totally agree – one of my favourites! Will be doing a post on it soon-ish and I'll definitely be using that passage.

      And thank you, it's definitely weird to know a publishing company really values your opinion! :)

      Delete
  6. Ooooh I like this survey! I was going to create something like it but I guess someone beat me to it. Oh well I'll join. It's definitely suitable for the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The survey is so fun – you should definitely do it!

      Delete
  7. I've had Daughter of Smoke & Bone and More Than This staring me in the face for months but I just haven't had the courage. They're so hyped. I also can't believe I wanted until 2013 to read The Infernal Devices, such an amazing series! I can definitely understand why you'd recommend Paper Towns or any John Green book for that matter - The Fault In Our Stars is definitely my favourite read of this year and all time. If that counts, seeing as it was as 2012 release. Gonna definitely have to do this post, it seems like a great way to reflect and conclude on the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh you have to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone – it's soooooo good! Practically impossible to dislike! And I'm glad you share my love for John Green haha!

      Delete
  8. I can't wait for Dreams of Gods and Monsters either! Love that series! I wasn't sure about A Tale for the Time Being but you'd recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Laini Taylor is such a genius.

      And YES, A Tale For the Time Being is just incredible. :)

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed The Bone Season too! Congrats on reading 100 books this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & I can't wait for the sequel!

      Delete
  10. I'm really surprised that Paper Towns is your favourite of John Green's. Sadly I cannot say the same. In fact, I was a little bit disappointed with it. I just found that his other books like TFiOS and Looking for Alaska had a much more profound effect on me....

    I gave a list to my friend last week of all the books I would very much like this Christmas. Most of them you have mentioned above. I really hope she picks Eleanor and Park, I've been anticipating that book for ages!!

    Lovely post Ruby and best of luck in 2014.
    Merry Christmas!
    Marian ^_^ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm that's unusual, I found Paper Towns to most insightful… that said, it was my first John Green book so I have a certain sort spot for it! :)

      Eleanor & Park is brilliant – prefer Attachments by the sam author though!

      Delete
  11. It be awesome to read some of your own writing! I'm sure it's brill! :')

    Since A Tale for The Time Being and Wuthering Heights are practically mentioned for a lot of questions, I feel obligated to pick them up! I can't promise ATftTB but I do have Wuthering Heights - which I will hopefully give a go in 2014!

    Your reviews are always extremely well-written and engaging - I love them!

    Can't wait to see Feed Me Books Now become even MORE popular in 2014! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Rachel, I'll probably never get round to it though! :')

      You should definitely give those two a go – love them both! :)

      And thank you, that's so lovely to hear! I hope Feed Me Books Now becomes even MORE popular in 2014 too!

      Delete
  12. I'm writing this post at the moment, and it is so long! A Tale For The Time Being is one of my favourites too, I'm making sure to mention it a lot too. I HAVE to read Wuhering Heights next year. I have a copy on the table next to me and the first few pages are just so beautifully written, I know I'll love it.

    Thank you so much for the mention. Your blog is very high up on my favourites, I am added to your posts, haha!

    Hope you have a great Christmas. Happy new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too! :) And you're welcome, can't wait to read your post too! :D

      Delete
  13. Whops- thought I'd commented here but it turns out that I didn't! :O Loved this post :D Really jealous of a lot of the books that you've read. Rainbow Rowell! Marcus Zuzak! D: I need to read these author soon... haha :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! You haven't read The Book Thief?! YOU MUST, YOU'D LOVE IT! Same with any Rainbow Rowell. :D

      Delete
  14. I really love your blog. I love it's design and Ill keep coming back!
    Could you check out my blog and tell me what you think? And could you please write a review on it? I'll be sure to do the same!!!
    www.diaryofasugarmonster.blogspot.com
    From your friend(add me) on goodreads

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's good to know about The Infernal Devices series. I didnt care for the first book in the Mortal Instruments series, and havent pick up any other by her yet.

    Also, the fact the The Outsiders made your list (even if it was the shortest book) makes me really happy. Tex, by Hinton is longer, along similar lines, and pretty good. Ponyboy is still my favorite though.


    Also, Out of the Easy has been on my TBR list for a while now.

    Happy 2014

    ReplyDelete

I'm incredibly grateful for each comment received and I reply to every single one (so be sure to check back if you've asked something).